Dear Community Church Members, Today Laury and I were finally able to visit the schools----3 of them, a private girl's school and private primary school and a public elementary school with an enrollment of 832 students with 17 teachers. In all schools we heard the cry for teachers! All schools pleaded for better libraries. It was interesting to observe the library in the girls' school: it consisted of about a 9' by 9' room lined with shelves, with books stacked in an orderly fashion but sort of with spines stacked in all different directions---PACKED1 The girls would come to an outside window and be handed out the books from the window. There was no room for the students to come inside.----The students in all schools were elated to see us, reaching out their hands to touch us and the din from their voices was unbelievable, yet so welcoming and joyous! We had taken books to the schools and I was able to read a story to each of the 3 rooms I visited. It was such a heart-warming experience, and Laury and I would have loved to have spent an entire day just visiting the schools. But, every day there is a schedule to be kept. We completed the morning by visiting Florence's home where Laury blessed her home with a deep,heartfelt prayer. ( Laury has a true gift of prayer ) We then quickly visited the passion fruit farm, where we also saw tea and coffee growing. We arrived back at the University in time to lunch with Yema and Lahe. Now it is Laury's turn to write. I close with gratitude for all the prayer and support from our church at home. Love,Marty
Greetings My Dear Family and Friends….Well into the 4 wheel car we go with Mr. Mwenda ( our driver ),but now our friend…. through, over and down, winding,dusty,RED roads of Meru,Kenya…and arrive at a school. We actually visited 3 today. As you know Marty and I read and shared books, smiles, love…and as usual received more than we brought! A teacher at one of the schools taught us that it is rude to refuse tea…and very rude not to finish it. I was grateful for her lesson and we all gulped our tea, as we were off to another school. I left promising prayers, pen pals ( help teachers) and not to forget them. I could have stayed there all long time, but thankful and grateful for a visit. The children opened their hearts and souls to us…I will never forget them! Seeing the Clinic yesterday was amazing for me…it's ministry and health programs echo throughout this area and touch so many people. The way this country and area is fighting the battle against aids is a miracle. The manifestation God is evident in the commitment and loving care of the community and it's people…The church is the heartbeat of the community. This country is beautiful, the people are open and have a true gift of hospitality, and delicious tea…It reminds me of the tea I use to drink with my Scottish grammar Black…connections! As we wound our way through the countryside I was surprised to see so many plants that we have at "The Growing Place" even my favorite fern! So far away... yet feel so close to you all! I love the dancing and singing we are often greeted with…..Ed and Tom are improving their dancing as we circle and sing…" we are ALL driving the train…the train to heaven"….Thanks you for your prayers and support…Lovingly, Laury
Dear Family and Friends: Let me first apologize that Tom does not have a contribution to this posting. He had written something before he left for an appointment with Yema and Lahi's pastor and somehow it has disappeared into cyberspace. We can only hope that we can retrieve it, otherwise he will have to write again.
Marty and Laury have done a wonderful job of sharing our experiences today, so I wanted to share something from yesterday's service at the University chapel. The scripture for the week is from Mathew…"you are the salt of the earth…you are the light of the world." The Preacher offered six principles of life to the students which I found to be quite simple, yet right on point:
- Lead others in the right direction.
- Get close to those you want to influence.
- Be a good Christian.
- Remember that your life is on display.
- Have strong beliefs and speak them boldly.
- Make everything you do for the glory of God.
So what does it mean that I remembered all of these, when I often have a hard time remembering what I ate yesterday? Perhaps they were not just meant for the students! I continue to be amazed by what I see, hear and witness…in so many ways Kenya is so primitive, yet in others they seem years ahead of us. Church is central to EVERYTHING they do…and keeps them balanced, joyful, thankful and incredibly inspirational to those of us who have this opportunity to touch their lives.
Tomorrow is a play day…I finally get to see my elephants…not to mention lions and tigers and…. Tomorrow night we separate and each spend the night with a host family, attend church with them on Sunday, share a meal and then reconvene to share our stories with each other…and [hopefully] with you. Love to all, Ed
PS: To Joan and Clyde: I meant to mention yesterday that we successfully delivered the medical equipment to the Clinic…Yema was THRILLED! We also gave her the quilt that you made and took pictures. She was so exicited I think she wore it home, but I am not sure!
12 comments:
Wow! It sounds like you are having and amazing time. I'm glad to hear that you are safe and having a wonderful experience. I can't wait to hear more stories (especially about the schools). Enjoy the elephants!
I would want to bring the children home! I can't wait to hear more! The pictures you have painted in our minds just bring the people to life for us!Much love to all! Maggie
Wow - my mind is reeling with all of the information you all are providing - I can only imagine how it is for you! We can't wait to see pictures and hear the stories first-hand. Blessings - Bill & Elizabeth
OH! I HAVE READ YOUR MESSAGE OVER AND OVER..EACH TIME SEEING THE FACES OF THOSE CHILDREN AND HEARING THEIR VOICES.......I THINK I NEED TO RETIRE FROM RETIREMENT AND GO TEACH THERE :)
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR STORIES....THE REACH US, HEART AND SOUL..WE ARE SO TOUCHED BY YOUR COMPASSION AND PASSION IN EACH AND EVERY EXPERIENCE YOU ARE HAVING.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE THE SIX PRINCIPLES OF LIVING A GOOD LIFE......YOU HAVE LEARNED FROM YOUR NEW COMMUNITY AND NOW YOU SHARE WITH US TO TAKE IN THE SAME LESSONS..WE ARE BLESSED WITH WHAT YOU SHARE.
HAVE FUN WITH THE ANIMALS...
I MUST SHARE WITH YOU ALL WHAT TRIPP SENT OUT TO THE FAMILY UPON READING ABOUT THAT UPCOMING ADVENTURE:
Does anyone else have this vision of Dad walking around imitating the elephants like crazy Frank on Survivor:Africa (which ironically was filmed in Kenya, at the Shaba National Park, not far from where Dad is!)
TRipp
WITH THAT, GO IN PEACE..
AND REMEMBER TO TAKE TIME TO LAUGH.
XOXO
JUDY
It's amazing to hear these stories and experiences from you all, especially my dear sister (Laury), yes I'm biased! Technology is amazing and how we take it for granted at times. It makes it easy to place ourselves right there with you as we read through your eyes and experiences. Thank you for sharing, we love you, The TX Blacks
tom, ed , marty and laury
tonite you are on your overnighters......we know there will be yet another set of stories for you to bring to us from that experience!
we anxiously await your safe return home...
peace to you in your travels
judy
Hi to you each. It is wonderful to hear from each of you,and learn about your incredible experiences. How very humbling & inspirational your time there is, as you each have witnessed. Isn't it simply amazing how when we open up our hearts to serve, we end up being so very enriched ourselves. You are in our prayers daily.Thank you for your courage and for blessing those you are serving. We love you each. Tom and Sally McFaul
Thank you for a glimpse of Africa--incredible isn't it? Makes me homesick. Take care and God bless.
Beth Ferrell
Hello to everyone! It's so wonderful to hear the stories of your trip (behold the power of technology!)! Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers daily, as are those you have mentioned in your blog entries and those throughout Kenya.
Laury: I LOVED your idea about pen pals with the children and would love to help make that happen! It would be fantastic if you could the grades/ages of the children (& how many there are in each grade) so that we could have the children in our corresponding Sunday school classes write to them! This could be exciting and enlightening for the children (and even the adults) in BOTH countries!!!
Peace and Blessings to you all,
Beth
Early Sunday morning (3rd) from Deane:
Last evening I retrieved all of your messages since last Sun. and printed them (4 full pages!).
Ruth Hamm and Sally Schuck moved in with us the day after you four left for Kenya. As of now, they intend to head to Arkansas on the 7th.
As the four of us ate dinner last envening around our table, I read your week's worth of interesting, inspiring, heartfelt blogs to them. Thanks so very much for your efforts in sharing your experiences and thoughts so fully and timely. I know how difficult it can be to communicate 'back home' when one is intensely involved in what you are doing. I am grateful that you are enthusiastically experiencing such welcoming hospitality, so similar to my experiences in many other countries.
In Community Forum this morning, I intend to share at least some of your messages with those who haven't visited the Community With Kenya blog.
Leave well from your new friends, travel wisely and safely, and return warmly to your 'old' Napervilleian friends.
Deane Manbeck
Thank you all for sharing this with us. Thinking of you as you soon begin your jouney home -- stay safe!
We send our greetings and prayers for safe travel. We look forward to your stories when you return.
Cindy and Roger Bunting
Post a Comment