Thursday, January 31, 2008

Greetings from Meru, Kenya

Peace and Greetings from Meru….It's Laury…What a journey…now a "living" prayer... I …We certainly feel the presence of your prayer as we sojourn through our trip and experiences.  I met Caroline and gave her clothes(thanks Robin)..and books (thanks Joan) Lewis misses Joan….OH!!!!there is a stop between the half way stop and Meru…I had to find it…Oh my, smilies is a universal language.  My experiences have more than filled me with an "awe"…witnessing people with amazing strength and courage…gratitude and hope….smiles…songs…hospitality…My head is so full and my heart so overwhelmed…I have taken almost 200 pictures…(Honey there MUST be more than 70)…I have much to share, but for now thank you my dear family and friends for your prayers and support!  We will continue tomorrow and have our overnights with our new friends on Sat. Josephine has already kidnapped me once…she's a teacher…what a women of joy, and determination. I most stop and give Marty her turn, my dear roommate and sister in Meru! Lovingly Laury P.S. we visit schools on Fri. to share books we brought…(thanks Mom and Dad and Mary) :-)

Dearest Community Church Members,       To begin to absorb all there is to be absorbed and celebrated here in beautiful Kenya  is such  a privilege and humbling!  As we have visited the different Aids sites that Yema has arranged, I can only feel that persons so afflicted are filled with great courage, and that the  people of Kenya have such beautiful smiles that just radiate out from their inner spirits!....Kenya University is such a beautiful and mostly modern university, which I must admit rather surprised me.  I had expected older buildings. But even more I have been impressed with the faculty and staff that we have met.  I was so gratified to listen to the glowiing tributes paid to both Yema and Lahe by the Vice-chancellor.  There is so much to tell that I hardly know where to begin.  Therefore, best much of it remains until our return.  We are all having such an inspiring trip, and I remain grateful for all the prayers and support from my home church.  With love from the land where people know how to welcome visitors.  Marty 

Dear Community Church, Many more stories than time to write. We pray that our hearts can hold all we have experinced. A first highlight. I was invited, spontaneously last Sunday, to assist in consecrating and serving Holy Communion with the Pastor of the Kaaga Church--Lahi and Yema's Church home here. One Table, One Bread, One Beautiful Body. Holy Communion, indeed! Then Tuesday to Maua Methodist Hospital at the end of the paved road to the north. Face to face and heart to heart with many AIDS/HIV persons. In this case, I do not say "victims". These folks, with Christian care, are courageous and truly alive, praising God. We had come to the "end of the road" and got a glimpse of the Kingdom of God--the realm of the blessed ones claiming their inheritance. Thank you all for praying us on our way.  Peace, Tom

Dear family and friends:  It will be hard not to be repetitious as everything that the others have said is what I would also share.  It has been an incredible journey. We have witnessed so many ministries to those that are affected with HIV/AIDS … each with it's individual approach, yet connected in that they tell the same story…hope and faith!  Through the leadership of some pioneers (like Yema) and the strength of the victims we have met I am convinced that they can win their war on AIDS!  Women and men who were literally on their death beds are now leading "normal" lives with the hope of a future. They are inspirational in more ways than words can express. I would love for each of you to be able to personally hear their stories and see how one that has tested positive…can remain positive!  As the "team leader" I want to be sure that you all know that we are very safe. We have seen no signs of violence since we arrived.  Even at the police check points that we pass they are mostly interested to know if we are wearing our seat belts!  None-the-less, your continued prayers and good wishes as we continue our journey are greatly appreciated.  Now that we have Internet availability I would hope that we can write one or two more times before we leave here next Tuesday evening.  Ed




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOW WONDERFUL TO READ YOUR MESSAGES... I COULD HEAR EACH OF YOUR VOICES AS YOU TOLD A BIT OF YOUR STORY! YOUR ENTHUSIASM, YOUR COMPASSION, YOUR PASSION......IT IS FELT BY ALL OF US. WE ARE HUMBLED BY THE WAY YOU SERVE OUR LORD.
BLESSING, PRAYERS, AND LOVE
JUDY

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to hear even the little pieces of your individual stories. We cannot wait to hear the more thorough adventures. It is also comforting to hear that you are all safe and away from the horrible events going on in the Western part of the country. Still, you may have some fascinating stories about being in a country going through such struggle and turmoil. Our prayers are with you as always, and I am eagerly awaiting your story-filled return.

Anonymous said...

Our love and prayers to you, Ed, and your traveling companions -- we love reading of your journey and imagining all that you are experiencing (especially on these bitter cold minus 20 degree days in Minnesota, when we assume that you're experiencing something slightly warmer!). What an incredible opportunity for all--both the travelers and the hosts. Each day, you are changing the world. Much love, lee.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful inspiration it is for us to hear about people who have such positive hearts full of love and a trusting faith in our God who is so much bigger than Aids. Thank you for sharing a small glimpse of this heart!
Love to all! Maggie

Anonymous said...

It is so wonderful to hear a few of your stories, and we look forward to hearing more when you return! We are praying for you and are thankful that God is blessing you with such an incredible experience!

Love,
Sarah, Michael, Sam & Michaela Bathan

Anonymous said...

I was so pleased to see all 4 of your paragraphs on the blog this morning. I knew the boys were doing OK, but needed to hear your "voices", Marty and Laury. What an experience you are having. Just as your paragraphs are all unique, so are your perspectives. 'Can't wait to see you all! God bless you! Love, Mary

Anonymous said...

We are so enoying following our dear friend "Mr B" and companions on this heartfelt journey! So glad to hear you are all safe and experiencing a glimpse of my beloved Africa! Be safe and fill the memory book ... can't wait to share your stories! Alec is ready to fatten you up on your return..
Noelene, Alec and Nikki

Anonymous said...

While you are off seeing the lions, tigers, elephants today (I envy you!) we are digging out from 12" or so inches of snow dumped on Northern Illinois. CUMC is having a snow day, and I'm about to go shovel the driveway at home, but did have to check in to see how all are doing. It has been wonderful to experience-virtually this amazing journey. Lauralyn