ED HAS BEEN ABLE TO SEND UPDATES ON DAILY LIVE IN MERU THRU HIS BLACKBERRY.......SO WILL PASS ON PARTS FROM THOSE EMAILS (WILL KEEP OUT THE MUSHY PARTS:)
THEY ALL POSTED ON THE BLOG YESTERDAY FROM YEMAS COMPUTER BUT FOR SOME REASON THEY HAVE NOT COME THROUGH TO US....
KEEP YOUR COMMENTS COMING SO THAT WHEN THEY DO GET ON THEY WILL HAVE LOTS TO READ FROM US ..
PEACE,
JUDY
SUNDAY
Tom and I are on our way to help another VIM group with their project which is behind and they need to leave thursday. We are building a chicken coop at Yemi and Lahi's church so they can raise chickens and hens for food and eggs. Still cannot access the internet. No electricity today, but maybe tonight. We are all fine...and what an amazing trip. I will need a week for every day to share the stories!
MONDAY
The work at the chicken coop was great. Tom and I were ther for 7 hours. Turns out the plan is that the chickens raised will be given to poor families - 10 each. They will need to start breedoing them and then return some to the chuch to be given to another family. Marty said itwas like a Heffer project. The eggs that are produced by the hens will be given to Aids patients as part of a nourishment program that the chuch facilitates.Off to bed now. Big day tomorrow visiting the Aids hospital that Yema is affiliated with.
TUESDAY
An amazing day at the hospital where Yema used to work and started her Aids awareness program. One in five in this area are HIV positive, but they are staying healthy because of the treatment they are receiving and the number of new cases has been dropping yearly. We saw one very small boy that looked so sick it just tore me up. The pediatric ward was so crowded they had two to each bed and each child has their mother with them, so really four to a bed.We also visited another facility that treats women that are HIV positive. 34 of them, and 3 men greeted us in song and then shared their success stories. None of them spoke English, but a Pastor interpreted. The stories were so inspiring and they were all so positive about their lives! Also learned a lot about Mirra which is a plant grown near here and sold abroad as speed. We travelled through the area that grows it and witnessed first hand seeing it sold on the street, chewed on the street and saw the "distributors" transporting it to Nairobi. The whole thing was rather interesting.Enough for now. Off to sleep. We have free time in the morning so I am going to try and see if my laptop works at the Library.
Tuesday, January 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Eber!!! I hope you are having a wonderful time and spreading lots of love to the people of Kenya! We miss you so much back here! I have to tell you, I am so impressed with what you are doing! I look forward to reading the blog everyday and you and your group are in my thoughts and prayers! Love you and miss you! xoxo Lindsey
I second that! Our whole family sends our prayers and admiration to each of you. Its clear your good work is making a difference already.
The Orlando/Livingston family
Post a Comment